Concrete floor coatings are resins (epoxy or polyurethane) that create an impenetrable floor coating (or layer) on your concrete floor. Epoxy is a co-polymer (formed from two different chemical components referred to as the “resin” and the “hardener”) and by combining these products will result in cured epoxy which is used as a protective coating for metal, wood, fiberglass and concrete. Common applications are garages, warehouses and manufacturing facility floors.
There are various types of epoxies based on the intended application and almost all offer medium to severe duty service for environments where protection from chemicals, abrasion and corrosion are required. Epoxy in itself makes a solid durable coating, but has limitations to chemical attack, UV exposure and thermal shock.
Each epoxy product has its own set of performance standards and product data sheets should be reviewed for application techniques and performance standards before being applied and can be used in combination with sand, flake or quartz aggregates.
There are many benefits to using concrete coatings on floors:
- Aesthetics – Concrete coatings provide an amazing appearance
- Easy to clean – While bare concrete floors hold dirt, concrete coatings create a barrier making cleaning fast and easy
- Safety – By keeping floors dry, concrete coatings will keep them safe for employees and guests
- Protection from wear and tear – Uncoated concrete will not last nearly as long as flooring with concrete coating; concrete coated flooring will last for many years without the need for costly repairs.
- Reflect light – Concrete coated flooring will reflect 100% more light than bare concrete providing more visibility and making the floors safer. It also reduces the need for auxiliary lighting and will restore life to dull, drab bare concrete.
- One of the most common types of concrete coating for industrial applications is epoxy floor coatings because they deliver an attractive appearance and provide great durability for industrial flooring like that found in airport hangars, industrial plants, television studios and many other large industrial facilities.
Epoxy flooring adds value (and aesthetic appeal to your workspace) by making it:
- More efficient
- More attractive
- Better protected
- More cost-effective
We offer a wide variety of urethanes and epoxies for every application, including VOC compliant urethanes and odor-free urethanes. The benefits of urethane and epoxy floor coatings are many, including maximized cost efficiency, long-term protection and improved aesthetics.
If you’d like to learn more about concrete coatings or concrete polished flooring, please contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our flooring experts.